Saturday, February 25, 2006

Two incredible women



Woohoo! Two more medals! Clara Hughes (above) won us gold and Cindy Klassen (above-above) bronze in the women's 5,000 metres long-track speed-skating event. Reading about these two women on the CBC website (my Olympics coverage bible), I am really impressed. Clara Hughes became the first Canadian to win medals in both the Summer and Winter Olympics (I knew I recognised her as the redhead who won two medals in mountain biking!) And Cindy Klassen now has the Canadian record both for the most medals won in a single Olympics with 5 medals at these games, as well as the most medals overall - 6.

Wow, we now have 22 medals! Canada has won more medals this time than in any other Winter Olympics (17 in Salt Lake City). What momentum to carry us through to Vancouver 2010. I hope I'm in the country to watch it and experience the excitement.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Samantha, you give excellent commentary...Is it possible that you're gunnin for Brian Williams' job, that would explain you're OBSESSION with him. I think you should just let him run out his stint and retire peacefully before you challenge the man for his job.

Samantha Lee said...

Ha ha! For those not privy to our MSN discussion, I do NOT have an obsession with Brian Williams. I just find that he gets annoying as a CBC Olympics commentator after you've watched a couple of Olympics. Ron Maclean rules as the best commentator!

Anonymous said...

If I were a commentator, I wouldn't ever wear pants. I'd wear a dress. That would be so liberating.

Samantha Lee said...

Now you're just trying to get onto the quoteboard.

Anonymous said...

Admit it. You love it.

You should write me more often. We're going to be neighbours after all. How will we arrange pot-luck "Siege of Constantinople Day" and our ever-popular "Day of the Unhewn Stone" Bannock Bakes? It's about communication!