Saturday, February 25, 2006

Guess I'm not so lazy today after all

Here are some of my photos of the Rural Olympics:


Bullock cart races: I love how the riders are lying on a slant. They were slapping the bull's butts to make them run faster. But then I saw one guy with his hand reaching under - I don't even what to know what he was doing!



Wrestling in the foreground - look at that guy flip! And kabaddi in the background - the raider (the single guy) has to touch one of the defenders(?) (the four guys holding hands) and then run away to cross the center line before losing his breath. The defenders do anything they can to stall him (i.e. grab his legs, push him down, catch his foot while he's running away causing what must be a very dangerous fall, ...) All with no equipment, not even shoes. This shot is taken while the raider is trying to find the best way to tag one of the defenders.


Doesn't this just look so wrong? Wrestling is weird to watch.


And here's the chase in kabaddi.


These might have been the horses that were used later in the spearing-an-unidentifiable-object-lying-on-the-ground-while-galloping-past event.


And here's a dancing horse!

2 comments:

Fred said...

Ah... but have you had a chance to interview a Kabbadi player?

Samantha Lee said...

Actually, I have! But only a couple. I asked the first one for the basic rules of the game and he replied, "When you're attacking, you have to hold your breath..." then that's when I became intrigued.