I'm now living and working in London (England, not Ontario) and I still can't believe I'm part of this amazing city and culture! And I intend to make the most of it!
Saturday, January 06, 2007
Unidentified Flying Vegetables!!!
Okay, so they're not flying. Whatever. But can you identify them? I'd love to learn the names in English for these Indian vegetables, if such names actually exist. I found them while wandering through the local wholesale outdoor market where the vegetable-wallahs and fruit-wallahs come to fill their carts.
No clue about the first one, but the fruit in the second picture could big gooseberries. The 3rd picture I'm pretty sure shows the vegetable "Kohlrabi". Not sure what the english name is though - maybe cabbage turnip? We usually eat it raw or cooked and served with sauce hollandaise and potatoes.
The first one definitely looks like some species of yam (though one of them actually looks like a chicken carcass with all the stubs in the right places..heehee...can you spot it?).
The second one... unripe kumquats (a fruit?) or some bitter Thai cucumbers (not the formal name, but the cooks at Baan Thai used to make them in curry for the staff all the time.
Have you tried to eat them all? That sweet potatoish one looks especially good! YUM! I love discovering random new fruits and veggies when I travel. Like Kumara, purple sweet potato, in NZ, and like Jicama in Mexico.
ONE OF THEM IS CLEARLY A FRUIT! I CALL TRICK QUESTION!
OK, I've had my vent for the day. Nice mehndi by the way. You need to contact me and tell me whether the mother ship has gotten back to you on the you-know-what.
Oh, and the black crow flies over the pale moon at midnight.
2009-03-20 Classical Spectacular, Royal Albert Hall - Over the top show that is a lot of fun with a bit of ballet, opera and cannons thrown in!
2009-01-07 Lost and Found Orchestra - Instruments made out of garbage, like Stomp but not just percussion. Packed with inventive instruments.
2008-12? Imagine This - Entertaining, but I wouldn't pay more than a tenner for it.
2008-12-06 Edward Scissorhands - By Matthew Bourne. Not as good as when I saw his previous dance production, The Nutcracker.
2008-06-17 ***Brief Encounter*** - Soooo good! It was different in an inventive, ingenious, fun way, not in an abstract uncomfortable way. It had silly bits, romantic bits, and artsy bits. Multi-talented cast. The cast even serves you free bun cakes!
2008-05-07 Mamma Mia! - I had doubts about whether I'd like this, but I really did. It was fun, funny and entertaining!
2008-04-23 ***Speed-the-plow*** starring Jeff Goldblum and Kevin Spacey - Hilarious! They fed off each other's energy in a non-stop witty banter, much of it improvised. Amazing to watch! Goldblum was really impressive. He clearly loved being on stage.
2008-01-16 Nutcracker! - My first ballet. This was a modernised stylised version which was very creative and fun. I thoroughly enjoyed it, and even from the cheap seats, it was captivating.
2008-01-08 Spamalot - This was just okay. It was of course based faithfully on the Monty Python movie Search for the Holy Grail, with a bunch of musical numbers thrown in. Quite cheesy, but the audience seemed to love it.
2008-01-02 Shadowlands - Quite a good play. Well-acted, especially by the male lead and witty dialogue. The second act was a bit sappy though.
2007-10-27 Macbeth starring Patrick Stewart! - Excellent! Seamless. Interesting effects. Sat in the 2nd row!
2007-10-13 Glengarry Glen Ross starring Jonathan Pryce - Excellent acting and good dialogue.
2007-10-10 The Lord of the Rings (musical) - Wonderful sets, but overall, not so great. Only one good song.
2007-10-08 ***Avenue Q*** (musical) - HILARIOUS! Highly recommended for anyone even if you don't like plays or musicals. Anyone would find this really funny! My favourite so far in London.
2007-09-21 The Merchant of Venice in Shakespeare's Globe - Really well done.
2007-09-03 We Will Rock You - So-so. Cheesy. Only for die-hard Queen fans.
11 comments:
No clue about the first one, but the fruit in the second picture could big gooseberries. The 3rd picture I'm pretty sure shows the vegetable "Kohlrabi". Not sure what the english name is though - maybe cabbage turnip? We usually eat it raw or cooked and served with sauce hollandaise and potatoes.
The first one definitely looks like some species of yam (though one of them actually looks like a chicken carcass with all the stubs in the right places..heehee...can you spot it?).
The second one... unripe kumquats (a fruit?) or some bitter Thai cucumbers (not the formal name, but the cooks at Baan Thai used to make them in curry for the staff all the time.
Johanna is right about the last: kohlrabi.
Those are my stabs in the dark.
I do see the chicken!
Sounds like some utterance of enlightenment: "I do see the chicken!"
Have you tried to eat them all? That sweet potatoish one looks especially good! YUM! I love discovering random new fruits and veggies when I travel. Like Kumara, purple sweet potato, in NZ, and like Jicama in Mexico.
Ok, Consider me all updated and caught up on your blog. Woo hoo!
ONE OF THEM IS CLEARLY A FRUIT! I CALL TRICK QUESTION!
OK, I've had my vent for the day. Nice mehndi by the way. You need to contact me and tell me whether the mother ship has gotten back to you on the you-know-what.
Oh, and the black crow flies over the pale moon at midnight.
I e-mailed you at your work e-mail about that! (Or were you talking about something else??) First weekend in May good for you?
Naw, about where you're going next year...
I'm still in the dark, I'm afraid. I'm a little scared to find out though because I don't want to be disappointed.
I just had to write a comment, because the verification word was very clearly "ugggnya."
Well, here's hoping next stop is man-tastic.
Post a Comment