Sunday, September 24, 2006

The Death of the Crocodile Hunter


Okay, okay, I realise I'm probably the last person in the world to have heard that Steve Irwin, the Crocodile Hunter died. But I have an excuse this time - I'm isolated in Chandigarh!

I used to watch his show all the time and marvel at his crazy stunts, as well as learn tons of cool facts about ferocious crocodiles, poisonous snakes and deadly spiders. The best was one segment where he got bit by a small snake by the side of the road at night. (He got bit quite often, it seemed.) He had his flashlight out, rapidly flipping through a book when he found the page he was looking for. "Yess! NOT poisonous! Woohoo!" he exclaimed (or something to that effect).

The only reason I could watch his show at all was because I knew that if he had actually died during filming, I would have heard about it on the news long before the show aired (although that theory doesn't seem to be that good, in retrospect).

He actually lost his dog, who was on the show for the first few seasons, on a show when he fell into crocodile-infested waters never to surface again. What was his name? Sueeee! Or something like that?

It's sad that he's gone. He did a great deal to inform the public about the less "cute" creatures of this planet.

No comments: