
(Photo from www.zimbio.com taken on the day we were there.)
Through the embassy, I managed to get tickets to the Royal Enclosure at Royal Ascot, which is the racing event of the year. It's been a British tradition since 1711 and the Queen attends each year, arriving every day in a horse-drawn carriage. The Royal Enclosure has a strict dress code - I had to wear a "formal day dress" and a "hat or substantial fascinator", while the men had to wear a top hat and three piece suit with tails! I'm not into racing, but it was a cultural experience for me.
There were only 6 races on the day we went. So you get a drink inside (like Pimm's which is SO good and very British), put down some bets, then come out here to watch a race before going back in to grab some food or wander down to the green to watch another race, and so on.
Check out all those top hats!
This is where the Queen watches from. You can't see her at the moment though. The Queen has her own horses that race as well and you can bet on them.
You can also watch from the green. There's actually space to do so in the Royal Enclosure, whereas the General Grandstands are packed!
I bought this dress especially for this event because I needed something fancy that meet the dress code (straps thicker than 1 inch, no halter necks or off-the-shoulder, no mini skirts, etc.) I found it in a free (and fun) session with a personal shopper at House of Fraser (a department store)! They offer this for free at a lot of department stores here but I don't think many people take them up on it.

4 comments:
Cute photo of you and Gilles!
l went to horseraclng ln Australla.
Saw many wear hats, so l also bought the hats, l left them ln Australla hotel as l return.
If either of you want to, I can try to get us tickets to Royal Ascot or Trooping the Colour (the Queen's annual birthday military parade and performance). I can also try to get you tickets to the Queen's Garden Party, but I won't be able to go with you. They all happen in late spring to early summer I think and you have to apply for tickets months in advance. Plus you have to plan a trip here at the right time!
What fun Samantha!
Post a Comment