Sunday, June 03, 2007

Carpal Tunnel Syndrome

Don't worry, this is nothing too serious. Just thought I'd write a little account, in case anyone's interested in the topic.

~~
A couple of months ago, I notice that my wrists are aching almost everyday. Sometimes my palm or my forearm is sore, sometimes it's a slight numb sensation or my hands feel weaker than normal. My mind automatically thinks of carpal tunnel (CTS), or Repetitive Strain Injury (RSI).

But I must be too young for that. I haven't been using computers for that long..., have I?. I do the math - been addicted to email since I was 17. That's 10 years. And I type pretty fast.

I ask my staff doctor about it and he refers me to websites on the topic. Although I've already set up my workstation ergonomically, I read through that part of it anyway and make a few minor adjustments. I learn some new stretches and do them whenever I remember. I try to take more breaks too, but I get so caught up in work...



Hm... this funky mouse looks interesting.
And I'll download the trial version of this software, too.




I've heard of this keyboard alternative to QWERTY, but I thought you had to buy a whole new keyboard. Silly me!
Of course you can just change the settings on your Windows!

The more I look at the Perific mouse, the more I want it. So many cool ways to use it!

I try the RSIGuard software trial version on my home computer. This autoclick feature is great! I personalise the settings more and more to take advantage of all the subtle features. Hotkeys I can program to automatically type commonly-used text, a breaktimer with stretching videos, ...

Since I don't want to slow down my typing speed at work, I decide to learn the Dvorak keyboard at home first. Hey, this is easier than I thought it would be! And I'm somehow managing to retain both keyboard layouts, although it always takes me a few seconds Monday mornings to reaqcuaint myself.

After the trial period is up, I purchase the software. Money well spent. I want it on my office computer now, and I gotta get me that mouse. I'd better get myself officially diagnosed so that my employers can pay for them.

At my first appointment, the orthorpaedician explains what causes CTS. The nerves going into my hand all run through a tunnel in my wrists. When I type or click my mouse, they rub against each other and the tunnel, and get inflamed and irritated causing pain, numbness, and weakness.

He sends me for a nerve conduction test, which involves one electrode being stuck to my upper forearm and one to the fleshy part of my palm under my thumb. The technician sends a small current through and I see my thumb jerk. He runs more currents through at small increments of voltage. As the voltage in the bursts of current increases, the current feels more uncomfortable. It's an odd feeling to have someone else making your muscles move. Then the technician warns me that he's going to do a rapid series of ten bursts. I brace myself. Not really that painful, but I'm definitely glad that's over! The results show that my nerves conduct absolutely normally. Alright! No permanent damage! Yet anyway.

Okay now what? There's another test that will diagnose early CTS. The doctor explains that he can inject some cortisone, an anti-inflammatory into my wrist. If itmakes the pain go away, then we know it's Carpal Tunnel. Yikes!! Sounds painful!

He says he'll research what else can be done and recommends I get a wrist brace. Already tried that. It didn't help with the CTS and it made it impossible to use a pen to sign my name to my numerous refusal letters each day.

(Gotta go to bed. To be continued with a description of the needle. Would it be as bad as I feared?...)

5 comments:

ryan101 said...

Ha, ignoring the irony of typing such a long post about RSI, i let Salvador do a demonstration on me with the electro-shock machine you had (i think it is the EMG). It really is freaky when you're just sitting there and your thumb continually twitches because of the pulses. it wasn't too bad though, well, until i looked away and Salvador turned it up to the maximum voltage...

Muriel said...

Samantha, you may just have a knotted muscle(s) near your spine in your upper back. Try going for a massage or have someone poke around checking for tender spots. Then rub that tender spot (it will feel like a lump) and make it hurt. You are trying to separate those knotted fibers.

Do it again the next day and probably the next. Hopefully your wrist problems will be gone. If not, look for more tender spots.

Samantha Lee said...

Thanks for the advice. I hadn't thought of that actually.

I get a massage every week from my housekeeper - I taught her a few tricks from the one massage course I took. I always have knots in my back near my scapulas.

But she's not a professional massage therapist so maybe I'll ask my guy in Ottawa when I go back this summer.

Muriel said...

I sit at a computer all day long and every few months my forearm gets cold. The first time it happened I assumed I had some mouse-use-related problem, but finally figured out it was my shoulder.

My daughter has had wrist problems that seem to stem from tension in her upper back.

I have had a toothache that was caused by tense muscles in my shoulder.

Numb tip of my big toe...leg pains...both from tension in my lower back.

I could go on and on...

kent said...

Happy Canada Day!