Sunday, January 01, 2006

Unidentified Chinese Veggies

 

This post is mainly for my sister, Pamela, who said she'd help me figure out a dish to cook these veggies in. These are the free frozen veggies I got from the owner of the Chinese restaurant I visited here in Chandigarh (see previous blog post). If anyone else knows what these veggies are (except the broccoli, I'm not that incompetent a chef) and how to cook them, then please speak up. Posted by Picasa

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

They are most likely Shanghainese bok choy, though it is a little hard to tell from the frozen appearance. It may just be Chinese lettuce, but I doubt it. I didn't know you could freeze these vegetables and have them turn out! Let me know if they taste any good. You can simply stir-fry them with a pinch of salt and garlic.

Pamela

ignacio said...

Lettuce...they are like Chilean Lettuce...

Samantha Lee said...

This is from an e-mail from my friend, Jeanne. She grew up in China and is now in Toronto, so she should be the authority on Chinese veggies! (Hope you don't mind that I posted this, Jeanne.)
~~
The Veg at the bottom seems to be
Chinese Lettuce if it has long root. We call it “WO Shun”. You can simply stir and fry it with galic and sault or with fried egg or meat. I like to eat its root. You should peel off the skin of the root. Chop it into very thin piece or whatever shape you like. Another one I think that it might be one kind “Bok Chai”. You can stir and fry in the same way as the Chinese Lettuce. One thing
different between them is that the Chinese Lettuce root can be eat without cooking but not this kind “Bok Chai”.

Samantha Lee said...

Who'd have thought that my post on vegetables would have gotten so many replies!? Go figure. I'm not complainin' though. Keep the comments coming! (And I'll work on keeping the postings coming as well.)

Anonymous said...

Broccoli! Who would have thought? I thought it was a rock, placed in the photo for size comparison purposes??

xox
Lara

Samantha Lee said...

A rock?! What are you trying to say about my photo-taking skills?! ;)

nicholas said...

Are you sure you want to eat that? I mean I know you're desperate for some home cooked Chinese food and all, but are you sure?